Let’s hear it for Donna DeClemente and her blog article on “Interactive Promotions + Blogs = A Winning Combination!”
She has some great evidence about the power of social media:
First off, blogs are very powerful because they allow millions of people to easily publish and share their ideas, and millions more to read and respond. They engage the writer and reader in an open conversation and are shifting the Internet paradigm as we know it.
Technorati is the recognized authority on blogs and they currently track close to 113 million blogs with over 175,000 new blogs appearing each day. Bloggers update their blogs regularly to the tune of over 1.6 million posts per day, or over 18 updates a second. Recent stats estimate that 39% of American adults regularly read blogs, which equates to roughly over 8.6 million readers absorbing user-generated content over traditional media.
Interactive promotions have also seen increased usage by marketers to not only drive traffic to their website but also to build their brand. Just take a look at some of the recent promotions that were associated with this year’s Super Bowl.
Survey results released by Jupiter Research last year showed that when consumers were asked which where their top online activities, 50% of those answered participation in contests or sweepstakes. These further stats demonstrate even more the value of online promotions:
- 80% of consumers have entered an online sweepstakes
- 70% of consumers say they’re influenced by promotions
- 68% of consumers actively participate in promotions
- 88% are seeking out more promotions than they did last year
- 81% of consumers say they have made a purchase due to a promotion
- 89% of consumers like to receive promotional messages online, 47% in-store, 33% direct mail, 25% phone, and 6% via text message
- Promotional incentives can more than double email open rates and improve click-through rates by as much as 1000%